Sunday, November 14, 2010

Black Women Basic Training Hair?

I have a curly afro right now. I don't straighten it with a flat iron because the humidity would make it curl instantly. I can only comb it wet with conditioner. How do I wear it for basic training? It's not long enough to put in a ponytail yet and I know that you get like no time in the shower or to get ready. Are microbraids my only option? I also know it has to fit under your hat. (my dad was in the airforce) Got any basic training hairstyle tips?Black Women Basic Training Hair?
I saw you also asked a question about shaved heads for women in the military. My suggestion, at least for basic, would be to get your hair cut short, close to the head. It will require minimum care at a time when you won't have it and will easily fit under any gear or masks. Once you finish basic and have done your career training, you'll know more about any issues hair could have and can decide on the style you want for longer term then.Black Women Basic Training Hair?
My advice to you is to try and go with the mirco braids or something that will be low maintenance because you will not have a lot of time for personal hygiene in basic. At night you will be so pooped that all you will want to do is sleep. If it is manageable with the curly fro, then go with it. Just long as you can control. You dont want to be the one that is sticking out that the Drill Instructors (female ones) will single you out for your do. Good luck with basic and stay positive. Dont let the drama/stress get you down. Stay encouraged!
Not only does your hair have to fit under your ';hat'; (I can't beleive I said that), it must also:



* Present a professional military appearance

* Not interfere with the wear of a ballistic helmet

* Not interfere with the wear of a protective mask

* Not extend below the collar of your jacket



So if you want to go to BT, get your hair sorted before you get there and keep it under control.
Well I would suggest braids but make sure when u get them it complies with Army Regulation 670-1...



Female Hair Standards



Female soldiers will ensure their hair is neatly groomed, that the length and bulk of the hair are not excessive, and that the hair does not present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. Likewise, trendy styles that result in shaved portions of the scalp (other than the neckline) or designs cut into the hair are prohibited. Females may wear braids and cornrows as long as the braided style is conservative, the braids and cornrows lie snugly on the head, and any holding devices comply with the standards. Dreadlocks (unkempt, twisted, matted individual parts of hair) are prohibited in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Hair will not fall over the eyebrows or extend below the bottom edge of the collar at any time during normal activity or when standing in formation. Long hair that falls naturally below the bottom edge of the collar, to include braids, will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned, so no free-hanging hair is visible. This includes styles worn with the improved physical fitness uniform (IPFU).



If you hair isnt long enough to go in a bun and as long as it does not go below your collar you will be fine to wear it down, however some female DS will try to make you pull it back anyways and will tell you to use hair pins or clips that are of your hair color... when I went to BCT I cut about 4 inches off my hair , but my hair still remained long, and I put my hair in a bun always but I watched other females get in trouble about their hair, you will always find one or two females who will try .. I would start now training your hair to lay down, or get the braids as long as there are no designs, your hair is braided straight back and you can place it in a bun without it interfering with your head gear.

its good you use conditioner i also suggest looking at something to keep your hair oiled , remember your gonna go to the field 3 times while at BCT , there was a female in our bay who had lice yeah they check at reception but clearly didnt do a good job.... Good Luck to you..



Soldier %26amp; Armywife

Contact me anytime if u have any other questions

Merry Christmas.,... Black female whos been there done that
you can go with the micros if you want to..but you have to put in account that you will be sweating they will get dirty due to the fact that you may be training in the mud..
you can wear cornrows, but not micros.

No comments:

Post a Comment