Thursday, November 11, 2010

Flat ironing question(s)?

This is my first time flat ironing my hair.

Haven't done it yet, I have a couple of questions so please answer.



1) Can you flat iron your hair while olive oil is in it? I have super curly hair and I moisturize it with olive oil and my mom thinks you don't have to wash the olive oil out just put heat protective over it.

Will that damage my hair?



2) I know flat ironing is damaging and could mess up my curl pattern, how many times a month can I flat iron my hair? One time a week? Once every other week? Once a month?



3) How do you flat iron YOUR hair, what's your method???





4) I have super curly hair (which I said) but I can get it straight with out heat at all just let it dry. and I brush like mad.(it's all poof and as big a pillow) With this said should I start out on low heat and work my way up till I find a good heat temperature?Flat ironing question(s)?
NEVER flat iron your hair with any kind of oil in it. i have curly hair to and i just let it air dry then put heat protectant and then i straighten it..dont blow dry it THEN flat iron it. its to much heat for us with curly hair because we need to run the iron through our hair more then other girls...as for how often i dont know im not an expert but i do like 3 times a week and my hair is perfectly healthy..just ALWAYS use a heat protectantFlat ironing question(s)?
pull up all of your hair except the bottom layer and tie it in a bun on top of your head



gather a one inch section of hair and put the heating iron on about medium to high heat and move it from the top where your hair grows out all the way to the bottom.



do this until all of your hair on the very bottom is straight



continue to straighten your hair like this in layers, tying the unstraightened hair up while you straighten small sections of curly hair.



when all is straight, spray with a frizz diffuser and a shine spray to keep it straight
I just started flat ironing my hair like 4 months ago!! Don't put any hair products in your hair before u flat iron it!! This can damage your hair!! (and the straightener) (exept some hairspray if needed) I'm talking about moose and stuff like that. Yes i think u should just start out low. I flaten mine only like twice a week cuz my hair will dry out and get rly course!! put the olive oil on after you straighten it!!

Hope i helped!!!! :)

~A
ok here:



1) NO!!!! make sure your hair is CLEAN + DRY when you straighten it!!!

2) you can probably get away with doing it a few times a week, just make sure you deep condition it every once and awhile.

3) I flat iron my hair in layers, I'll do the bottom layer of my hair first, and then continue until my hair is completely straight.

4) there are some straighting gels out their that straighten your hair, but they don't really work flat irons are probably the best way to get your hair straight. I would probably start out at the highest temp and work your way down, because it's gonna be really really hard to straighten your hair on a low temp, esp if its very curly.
1) I don't have much experience in using oil for hair, although I used to spray a light mist over for shine, but I don't do that anymore. I think it depends on how much you use, I only used a little so it didn't mess up my straightening, but if you use a lot then it might come out stringy and not as good as dry hair.



2) Straightening is only damaging because it's overheating your hair, so it will not mess up your curl pattern. It's not permanent straightening, as soon as you wash your hair it will be the same as before. Personally I straighten my hair every day, so I guess it depends on the person, how many times you use it a month.



3) I'm Asian, so my hair is not very curly, just a little bit wavy. I used to straighten my hair from roots to tips for a super straight sleek look, but lately I just flip in the ends for a messy/wavy look so it's not as damaging.



4) Again, no experience with curly hair, though when I dry I always use high heat, low heat only for bangs.
Answer to #1: Yes you can flat iron your hair with olive oil in it. It won't burn your hair or anything. But you should think about getting some heat protection for your hair too. (On answer number 3)



Answer to #2: No it can't mess up your curl pattern. My mom says that you should straighten your hair once a week maximum, because if you straighten your hair too much (Like 2-4 times a day) your hair can start to shed, or come off (ONLY the ends of your hair) because of too much heat.



Answer to #3: My method is using this:';Silk Elements Mega Silk'; Spray (It is for heat protection for when you curl or flat iron your hair. You can buy it at Sally's for $6.99 (It's quite expensive). Spray your hair with that, then use a curling iron and curl your hair for nice, smooth, and shiny hair. This product I use to straighten my hair. I am an African-American, so my hair texture may be different from yours, but it works with any type of hair.



Answer to #4: I hear that you shouldn't use too much heat for your hair because (like I said) you might cause your hair to shed. But If there is a heat setting on your flat iron from 0-35 or 0-30 or 0-25 I would say start with at least 25. If you hear your hair kinda sizzle when you put the Mega Silk spray on, it's ok; that's just the oil.



Hope I answered all of your questions!



Aleeyah

No comments:

Post a Comment